Woman watches as husband, son are allegedly beheaded in Cross River
Written by admin on July 19, 2019
A father and his son have allegedly been beheaded in a farm in Cross River following renewed communal clash between Ebom and Usumutung.
Our Correspondent gathered that on Saturday morning, people from Usumutung allegedly ambushed the people of Ebom working in their farms and murdered Mr. Oti Ato and his son, Sunday.
However, it was further gathered that Ato’s grandson, simply called Michael, narrowly escaped with bullet wounds.
The village head of Ebom, Mr. Sunday Obite, confirmed to newsmen that three persons were still missing after the attack, while the headless bodies of the victims have been recovered with the help of soldiers deployed to the communities since the crisis started last year.
Obite said, “The man and his family were harvesting cassava when they were attacked by Usumutong people.
“According to the grandson who is currently receiving treatment in the hospital in Itigidi due to bullet wounds he got while hiding in the bush, he saw them cutting off his grandfather and his father’s head from his hiding place in the bush.
“They even made the wife, Eliza Oti, watch while they beheaded her husband and her son and asked her to take the message to her people.
“We had believed that since soldiers were present, peace had returned; but we have been proved wrong once again, even as they stole our farm produce, we kept mute; but now, they have started again by killing a father and his son in the presence of the wife.”
Another member of Ebom community, Oban Bassey, also said, “As we speak, we have been able to get the corpses of Oti and his son with the help of soldiers at Usumutong.
“We have also reported to the DPO and he has seen the corpses.”
The Police Command in Calabar confirmed the incident and said the state Commissioner of Police, Austin Agbolahor, has deployed policemen to the affected community to maintain law and order.
The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Irene Ugbo, who confirmed this to newsmen in Calarbar, said, “We are aware of the killings and the Commissioner of Police has deployed men there and the community leaders have also been invited to meet with the Commissioner for further deliberation