‘Operation Whirl Stroke’ should be sustained, Sule, Ortom urge FG
Written by Henry on January 13, 2020
Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State and his Benue counterpart, Samuel Ortom, have appealed to the Federal Government to sustain the military operation code-named, ‘Operation Whirl Stroke’, to guarantee full restoration of peace in the region.
The duo made the appeal at a joint security meeting on Sunday in Lafia, following tensions arising from the federal government’s decision to withdraw the military covering their States.
Sule in his submission, noted that there had not been any serious security breach since the announcement, therefore, sustaining the military operation for at least another two years, would ensure the full restoration of peace in the region.
He, however, said that there was tension and fear, especially in the border communities, with residents leaving their homes.
Sule stressed the need for stakeholders from both States to close ranks and make concerted effort towards ensuring a lasting peace.
On his part, Ortom wants the federal government to reconsider its decision on the withdrawal of troops, saying that peace is yet to be fully restored to the various communities.
According to Ortom, most of the Internally Displaced Persons from last year’s attack in Benue were yet to be fully returned to their homes.
He said that IDPs were still housed in eight camps across Benue, adding that with reported cases of skirmishes last week, they will not feel safe to return home without the presence of the military.