Nigerians evacuation begins Wednesday, South Africans demands that foreigners must leave
Written by freshadmin2 on September 9, 2019
There were protests in eastern Johannesburg, South Africa on Sunday, with the protesters demanding that “all foreigners must return to where they originated from.”
During the fresh protest, one person died, while five others were injured. The nationality of the dead has not been known as of the hour of documenting this report.
A South African newspaper, Sowetan Live, reported that protesters, who carried weapons, headed for Jules Park where former Inkatha Freedom Party leader, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, addressed them.
According to the newspaper, the protesters were shouting, “all foreigners must return to where they originated from.”
The BBC reported on Sunday that South Africans disrupted a speech in Johannesburg by Buthelez who attempted to suppress pressures following last week’s riots and xenophobic attacks.
He told the crowd he had become a mediator and said he felt embarrassed about the ongoing brutality which he said was tarnishing the name of South Africa across the continent.
He stated, “What we have witness in the previous couple of days is unacceptable. The attacks on foreign nationals and their businesses are purely xenophobic. It is an infringement of human rights and an infringement of our constitution. Our constitution enshrines the right to freedom from all forms of violence. That privilege applies to everybody in South Africa, regardless of whether citizens or not.”
The South African Broadcasting Corporation reported that the police had confirmed the death of one person in the fresh attacks in the Johannesburg.
The casualties were also confirmed by the President, Nigerian Union South Africa, Adetola Olubajo, in a text message which read, “Police have confirmed one person dead and five injured.”
Nigerian Union South Africa called on Nigerians to stay away from areas where violent protest by Zulu hostel dwellers in Johannesburg took place.
400 Nigerians in South Africa, prepared to return home
Meanwhile, no fewer than 400 Nigerians have showed interest and registered to be evacuated from South Africa following the recent xenophobic attacks.
Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, said this in a telephone interview with News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Abuja.
Adama said that Air Peace had offered to transport those willing to return home following attacks on Nigerians and their businesses by South Africans.
According to him, the first set of Nigerians who are prepared to return home will be repatriated on Wednesday.
Over 400 Nigerians have already registered; more are still coming, he said.
The Nigerian High Commissioner to South Africa, Kabiru Bala, also said that Nigerians had reacted emphatically in great numbers.
Bala stated that, “We are documenting them. Those without travel documents, we shall provide them with emergency travel certificates.
“There are other governmental procedures that we must observe. Relevant agencies of government in Nigeria must be informed and must be ready to receive the returnees.