FRESH FM TOP NEWS THIS WEEK
Written by MaryGift Sunday on June 6, 2020
- Fayemi Signs Bill On Children Sexual Violence
Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi has signed into law a bill making treatment and care compulsory for child victims of sexual abuse.
- PTF Reduces Nationwide Curfew, Orders Full Operation In Financial Sector
The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has reduced the nationwide curfew from 10pm to 4am.
- Lebanese Embassy suspends issuance of working visas to Nigerians
The Lebanese Ambassador to Nigeria, Houssam Diab, said the Embassy has suspended issuing working visas to Nigerians seeking to work in Lebanon particularly for domestic workers.
- NAICOM extends Insurers’ recapitalisation deadline to 2021
The National Insurance Commission has extended the deadline for insurance and reinsurance companies to meet its new capital requirements to September 30, 2021 from December 31, 2020.
- COVID-19: States to handle cases, NMA demands compliance from churches, mosques
Leading health unions in the country on Sunday differed over Nigeria’s preparedness for reopening of worship centres and other sectors in the country, as the second phase of eased lockdown ends today.
- Churches, mosques to reopen as schools remain shut
The Federal Government yesterday ordered “restrictive opening” of worship centres but with a caveat that relevant containment protocols against COVID-19 be respected, in line with the agreement reached between the Presidential Task Force, PTF on COVID-19 and state governments.
- Racial discrimination: Stop ignoring our complaints, Nigerians in China tell FG
A group of concerned Nigerians, Council of Nigerian Citizens in China, CNCC, has said the Federal Government is not serious about complaints of maltreatment of Nigerians in China.
- Buhari Approves Reappointment Of Professor Danbatta As NCC’s Boss
In an effort to consolidate what has been achieved in the telecommunications sector in line with the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy, President Muhammadu Buhari approved the reappointment of Professor Umar Garba Danbattaas the Executive Vice Chairman, Nigerian Communications Commission.
- 812 Health Workers Infected With COVID-19 – NCDC Boss
The number of health workers who have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) has increased to 812.
- Increased Use Of Antibiotics To Fight COVID-19 Will Lead To More Deaths – WHO
Increased antibiotics use in combating the COVID-19 pandemic will strengthen bacterial resistance and ultimately lead to more deaths during the crisis and beyond, the World Health Organization said on Monday.
- WHO Resumes Use Of Hydroxychloroquine In Fight Against COVID-19 – PTF Affirms
The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 has affirmed that the World Health Organization has resumed its use of Hydroxychloroquine in the fight against COVID-19.
- FG reduces petrol pump price to N121.50
The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, PPPRA, has announced a new pump price band of N121.50 to N123.50 per litre for Premium Motor Spirit, popularly known as petrol.
- Fuel subsidy: FG clears outstanding N168bn debt to oil marketers — Investigation
The Federal Government has paid N168 billion outstanding subsidy debt to oil marketers, as part of measures targeted at stimulating activities in the downstream sector of the petroleum industry.
Investigatve reports have indicated that the payment was made through promissory notes, which the major and independent marketers started to collect on June 1, 2020.
- FG removes fuel price cap, gives marketers freedom to fix price
The Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, PPPRA, has removed the cap on the price of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), also known as petrol, giving marketers freedom to fix price of the commodity and sell above the price stipulated by it.
- Power sector: N1.8tr wasted in 7yrs — Senate
The Senate has started probing about N1.8 trillion the Federal Government invested in the Power Sector through the Electricity Supply Industry, NESI, from 2013 to date.
- APC Governors Meet With Tinubu Over Edo Political Crisis
Some governors elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) have met with the party’s National Leader, Senator Bola Tinubu.
- APC To Screen Obaseki, Ize-Iyamu, Four Others For Edo Gov. Primary Election
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has announced six governorship aspirants to be screened for the party’s primary election to elect its governorship candidate in Edo State.
- Orji Kalu seeks release from prison
Justice Mohammed Liman of the Federal High Court in Lagos is set to hear an application filed by Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, who is seeking his release from prison.
- Update: Court Orders Release Of Orji Kalu From Jail
The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has ordered the release of Senator Orji Uzor Kalu from the Kuje Correctional Centre in Abuja.
- House dissolves LG councils in Zamfara, for handling security matters with kid gloves
The fourteen (14) local government Council chairmen and their councilors in Zamfara state have been sacked by the State House of Assembly for allegedly, toying with security issues and financial recklessness.
- ‘They are the heroes now’: Doctors treating COVID-19 join racism protests
New York nurses and doctors, hailed as heroes for fighting the coronavirus outbreak, are denouncing racial segregation in the public health system by joining the George Floyd protests.
- UK PM Johnson Condemns George Floyd killing, Calls For ‘Lawful’ Protests
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday condemned the killing of George Floyd by police in the United States but declined to say whether he had spoken about the issue with key ally Donald Trump.
- Pope Reacts To Killing Of Floyd, Says Racism Is Intolerable
Pope Francis said on Wednesday “we cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism”, in reaction to the killing of a black man by US police that has sparked nationwide protests.
- Meghan Markle Pays Tribute To George Floyd
Meghan Markle has paid a moving tribute to George Floyd, the unarmed black man whose death in police custody sparked nationwide protests, as she reflected on her own memories of racism when growing up in Los Angeles.
- Protests In Amsterdam, Dublin Over Killing Of George Floyd
Thousands of protesters rallied in the Dutch and Irish capitals on Monday against the death of a black man during an arrest by police in the United States.
- Trump Threatens To Impose Tariffs Against EU, China
President Donald Trump threatened Friday to impose tariffs against the European Union and China in retaliation for duties imposed on imports of US lobster.
- South Africa’s President Condemns Local Police Brutality At Anti-Racism Rallies
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa on Friday said he “deeply regretted” the unjustified use of force by security forces enforcing lockdown rules during anti-racism rallies, drawing parallels to the killing of George Floyd in the United States last week.
- Australia Heading For Recession After Economy Contracts
Australia is heading for its first recession in nearly three decades after the economy shrunk in the January-March quarter, with a “far more severe” reading expected in the next three months as the effects of the virus shutdown bite.
- Federal Poly Ilaro Ventilators meet required standard -SON
The Standard Organisation of Nigeria has confirmed that the locally made ventilators produced by the Federal Polytechnic Ilaro met the required standard.
- Nobody Tells Me Who To Pick For Super Eagles Games – Rohr
Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr has said nobody dictates to him the players to pick for the team’s matches.
- La Liga confirms season will resume June 11
La Liga has confirmed match fixtures for the restart of its season, with a completion date of the 19th of July.
- I can still come back to Super Eagles – Ighalo
Manchester United Striker, Odion Ighalo has admitted he could make a return to the Super Eagles, after retiring from the team in 2019.
- Court of Arbitration to hear Siasia’s appeal in October
The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has picked the 6th of October to hear Samson Siasia’s appeal against a life ban imposed on him by FIFA.
- Chelsea Close To Signing Werner In £53m Deal – Reports
Chelsea are closing in on a deal to sign striker Timo Werner from RB Leipzig, British media reported Thursday.
- Okocha Scored The ‘Most Spectacular Goal In German Football’ – Klopp Hails
Liverpool’s coach Jurgen Klopp has hailed Nigerian legend, Austin Okocha for his impact in football, crediting him to have scored the most spectacular goal in the history of German football.”
- Majek Fashek Is Dead, Says Manager
Reggae music icon, Majekodunmi Fasheke, well known as Majek Fashek, has died, according to his manager, Omenka Uzoma.
- The Life and times of music Legend, Majek Fashek
It’s a sad day for the music industry in Nigeria as Music Legend, Majekodunmi Fasheke, popularly known as Majek Fashek, has died at the age of 57.
- There Are Attempts To Silence My Rape Case Against Fatoyinbo — Busola Dakolo
The wife of popular musician Timi Dakolo who accused the senior pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo, of rape has said there is “pressure to bury” her case against the preacher.
- #JusticeForUwa: Students Protest In Benin, Demand Death Sentence For Sex Offenders
Members of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) on Thursday occupied major streets of Benin City, the Edo state capital in protest.
- Shattered dreams of young female Nigerians: Gang-raped, murdered
She never saw it coming, neither did she in her wildest imagination, envisage such would happen at a place so revered and considered safe.
- Police Arrest Man Seen Kissing Minor In Viral Video
The Police in Lagos State have arrested a man who was seen kissing a minor in a viral video.