Bandits kill scores in Niger
Written by Henry on June 14, 2019
Bandits on Thursday continued the attacks, which they started on Sunday, in the Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.
The bandits had sacked eight villages and displaced over 1,000 people.
It was learnt that scores of people were killed in the sustained attacks, while several people, who were injured, were rushed to various hospitals.
It was also gathered that displaced villagers had sought refuge in seven internally displaced persons’ camps over 800 heads of cattle had been rustled.
Confirming the attacks and the killings, the Police Public Relations Officer, Muhammad Abubaka says, “For now, our record shows 12 deaths so far.”
Abubakar added that the state police command had drafted its men in collaboration with other security agencies to the troubled areas to ensure the security of lives and property.
The Deputy Governor of Niger State, Ahmed Ketso, had on Wednesday read the riot act to the hoodlums.
He stated this in Kuta, headquarters of the Shiroro Local Government Area of the state after a condolence visit and on-the-spot assessment of communities attacked by the hoodlums.
The deputy governor had said, “This administration frowns on any extra-judicial killing. Mr Governor has directed me to express his concern and displeasure at the killings and destruction unleashed on innocent people on Sunday. No stone will be left unturned to apprehend and bring the perpetrators to justice.”
The deputy governor assured victims that the government would take care of their medical bills, while adequate security had been provided in the affected areas.